The board of directors of Safari Club International Pittsburgh Chapter, voted to create an annual scholarship grant. This 10 year annual grant beginning in 2013 is named in memory of William McClure and David Baker, both long time board members and past Presidents of our chapter.
Following are the details of how the Scholarship will be administered:
- The Scholarship is for 10 years at $2,000 per year or a total of $20,000.Funding for this Scholarship grant will come from an auction item at the SCI Pittsburgh Chapter Fundraiser. Any additional funding required for this Grant will come directly from the general fund of SCI Pittsburgh Chapter.
- The Grant shall consist of a 1 year Scholarship Grant of $2,000 to be paid on or before August 15th but not before July 1st of each year. If you have been selected to receive the Grant, you are not eligible to re-apply. If you applied and are not selected, you are eligible to re-apply as long as you are enrolled in a college, university or technical school pursuing an undergraduate or technical degree.
- Once the recipient has received their Scholarship Grant Award acceptance letter and school questionnaire, the recipient has until July 1st to return the completed questionnaire or be in contact with the Scholarship Grant Committee. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of their Grant Award.
- Each year at the March Board of Directors meeting the Scholarship committee will review all applicants with the board and make a recommendation to the board for who should receive the Scholarship Grant for that year.
- All applications must be received by the committee on or before February 15th of each year.
- Any application received on or after February 16th will be discarded.
- It takes a 51% majority of the board to approve.
- Announcement of the recipient of the award shall be made during the Fundraiser weekend, which is normally held the last week of March or the first week of April.
- There should be at least three members of this committee at all times.
- The details of this scholarship including an application will be available on the safariclubpittsburgh.org website.
- • Each year the Pittsburgh Chapter of SCI will award a maximum of 2 Scholarship Grants.
Description of Scholarship:
The McClure/Baker Scholarship is available to graduating high school seniors and students enrolled in a college, university or technical school pursuing an undergraduate or technical degree who support the preservation of the hunting tradition and actively participate in hunting sports.
For GPA verification:
Applicant must present for review an official school record. Copy verified by a school official.
Applicant must have immediate family member that is a SCI Pittsburgh Chapter Member or be recommended by a member of the club.
Applications are available from the Pittsburgh Chapter of SCI Web site, but you must initially apply with the Scholarship Committee.
All Fields of Study
Applicant must submit the following items:
- Completed application form (if handwritten, please print legibly)
- Letter of application addressed to Pittsburgh Chapter of Safari Club International Scholarship Grant Committee stating their intent to apply for the scholarship grant.
- A copy of their most recent transcript with cumulative grade point average.
- Personal Essay. In the essay the applicant should answer the following question.
“How has the ability to hunt affected your life?”
(600 words or less)
- The application must be signed by the Pittsburgh Chapter Member that is recommending the applicant for the grant.